Atari ABC N386SX Laptop in the box
Atari ABC N386SX Notebook
Serial #Z 1181000623
This is a fairly rare item. However, it does not boot up. See the “Known Flaws” section at the bottom for its problems. On the flip side, there are a limited number of these and then they will be no more. It is fairly complete and the serial number on the box DOES NOT match the serial number on the unit. All manuals appear to be unused. MS-DOS package (Atari brand) is sealed. Maybe you can fix it? Hmmmmm.....
Atari sold a PC laptop computer as part of their ABC (Atari Basic Computer) line. The laptop was nothing more then a SOTEC laptop in Atari clothing. However, Atari made a nice choice in laptops to sell. (Note the STacy'ish look of the laptop.) The N386SX wasn't terribly heavy, had parallel/serial/VGA and PS/2 mouse ports, internal 3.5" disk drive and 40 mb internal hard drive. The system only comes with 1MB of memory, but an expansion slot on the top of the system allowed for a 2 or 4 MB memory upgrade and coprocessor upgrade. Also, another slot was available for an internal modem card as well. The system came with an Atari version of the ever-popular MS-DOS 5.0 on the hard drive as well as a diskette which contain a CMOS configuration utility. (From the Atari Museum webpage)
This is the 1MB/40MB hard drive model. It does NOT have the internal modem upgrade.
- Atari version of MS-DOS v5 disks and manuals (complete)
- Original Manual (good condition)
- Original box and packing materials
- Serial number on box DOES NOT match unit
- Expanded RAM option is installed but unknown if it is 2 or 4 MB version
- Floppy disk drive
- Internal 40MB HDD (unknown status)
- VGA monitor (external)
- PS/2 Mouse
- Power Supply is NOT included
- Attempts to power it have not been successful.
- Internal battery is not able to be charged let alone keep a charge
- All rubber parts are turning into goo. I have cleaned them to the best of my ability, but you may find a patch here or there.
Final Caveat: This system has been tested to the extent noted. However, it is 30 years old and there could be something I have not seen. This unit is sold AS IS.